Thursday, September 10, 2009

And the Thanks go to...

As I mentioned in the last post, I've researched the heck out of my collection, and continue to do so. Not only do I research the checklists that come in the packs, but I check multiple websites, and sometimes do somewhat random eBay searches to see if I missed anything (that's how I discovered the '64 Friendly Foes card).

So please let me take a moment to thank the following sites/people/organizations that have helped me put my collection together:

My wife. As much as she may want to, she's yet to kill me for spending this much cash on baseball cards.

Erich L., my former compatriot at Ricoh, for giving me the idea in the first place. My wife may curse you, but I love you, man.

Topps - If it weren't for them, you wouldn't be reading this blog (and would likely be doing something more productive).

eBay - Really kind of explains itself.

The Beckett Marketplace - Probably would have saved myself a few bones if I had started checking here earlier than I did. Also a great place to make sure I didn't miss any inserts.

TeamSets4U.com - The first site I found that had any sort of team checklists for sets prior to 2001.

Georgetown Card Exchange - They post the sell sheets for multiple sports, and have checklists for upcoming sets available long before anyone else I know of.

Surf laundry detergent - They released a series of "Baseball Card Collector Series" books in 1987 (one for every team, collect them all!) that not only let me know about some cards I was missing, but also included a nice season summary for every year through 1986.

Night Owl Cards - This site is the inspiration for the blog.  It's always well-written and entertaining.  It's done by the same guy who does The Topps Archives, a blog that's been invaluable in helping me figure out what's up with those early inserts.

Last, but certainly not least, Mr. Gene Autry, for making sure this franchise started with quality ownership (you may not have made a profit, but I know this team made you happy), and Mr. Arte Moreno, for leading this team to being the #1 sports franchise in America. I know you love this team as much as Mr. Autry did, and I owe you many beers.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to also thank Mr Jimmy Reese. It was amazing how he could hit a light pole 150 feet away using a fungo bat over and over. Excellent individual, you are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, I don't get a link? Surely I have websites I am affiliated with :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine then. If anyone is ever in need of natural fabrics, please check out my wife's website at celticclothswholesale.com. Nothing but the very finest in bamboo, hemp and PUL fabrics!

    ReplyDelete